Wednesday, April 5, 2017

IWSG#Overwhelmed

Welcome to another monthly run of the world famous--Insecure Writer's Support Group!  Writers from across the lands join in arms and celebrate, freak out, whathaveyou, about their condition (aka being writers). JOIN US!


Today I'd like to briefly ramble about being overwhelmed--and the constant battle to not end up that way ;).

Being a writer is HARD-people only do it because they honestly can't figure out a way not to. And it seems that every time I turn around there is yet one more, "THIS will make you successful" miracle program out there.

But, guess what? Writing has always been hard. Even way back in the pulp fiction 50's. Most folks weren't making a living at writing novels then either. And I'm sure there were wheelers and dealers ready to help them out then too.

These programs, people, strange things that hit you at 3 am as to why you're not as successful as you should be, can overwhelm you.

They suck away the joy.

Writing is hard. Yes, we're like addicts looking for our next fix of words on the page. But it is also a joy. It's amazing, beautiful, and a gift. When we're overwhelmed by all the ways we need to make ourselves successful, we lose the joy.

If we work to grab onto the joy, remind ourselves how awesome it is that we do what we do (not if we're making a living--but that we DO IT), guess what happens? The joy shoves aside the feeling of being overwhelmed. We do what we can to get our words out there--but first and foremost, we have to hang onto our joy at writing.

Happy IWSG Day!  Go hug a writer!


14 comments:

  1. I totally hear you there! This is not a buisiness for wimps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! We might be crazy, but we're not wimps ;).

      Delete
  2. Very uplifting post. It is easy to look at all the negatives of what must be done and compare yourself to others seemingly more successful than you. The joy can be lost if that's all you focus on. Thanks for the reminder to look at the good things. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it :). We all need reminders sometimes.

      Delete
  3. Last night when I couldn't sleep, I was thinking the same thing. Years of writing. Years of doubt. Years of wondering what "category" my stories really fit into because not only do I have to write these stories, I have to sell them to someone. It is overwhelming. But not so overwhelming that the last sentence in each story is a total rush of satisfaction that no one can take away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I would enjoy writing if it were easy. All that *expert* garbage, writing advice, life advice, it almost always feels like pretense, and comes off as dishonest. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't mind the work of writing too much, but I'm still waiting for that day my first book is finished. Writing the second book will be just as hard, but the glor of having finished one will keep me going. Thanks for hosting this month's IWSG blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. whoops, forget that last sentence. That was meant for someone else.

      Delete
    2. You're getting closer to that day!

      Delete
  6. There as been a recent flood of webinars, offering advice for free. I've attended a few of these and it comes across as 'get rich for quick', but really what your watching is a 90-minute sales pitch to purchase a service and will give you success.

    You want to make a living at this, you do your own homework, and you write. There is no shortcut, no get rich quick scheme. If there was, then why are they telling you about it? I'll tell you why, because they get more money in you believing in their sales pitch.

    I hope one day to do my own series of webinars, but only if it is just to give information and not try to up-sell a product.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm overwhelmed myself and having a pity party. This life of writing is hard on so many levels, yet I wouldn't give it up--ever. :-)

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
  8. So easy to get bummed when the sales are pathetic, but yes--the wonderful feeling of just getting the words on the page is my reminder of why I do it!

    ReplyDelete